Ismail Adam Patel
Masjid al-Aqsa is no ordinary Masjid; it forms the basis of our history and is the cornerstone of mankind’s foundation. The Noble Prophet SAW dedicated a great deal of his life nurturing the Companions to appreciate the excellent qualities of Masjid al-Aqsa and prepared them to embark on an expedition to liberate Jerusalem which at the time was in the hands of the mighty Roman empire.
Some of the reasons why Masjid al-Aqsa should form an important aspect of a believer’s dedication, and the reason why many pious individuals have given their wealth and lives, include the fact that Masjid al-Aqsa is:
1. the first qiblah for Muslims;
2. the station of al-Isra’ and al-Mi’raj;
3. the second house of Allah built on earth;
4.the place where hundreds of Messengers of Allah are buried;
5. the place where many Companions are buried;
6. a place where miracles were shown by Allah’s will;
7. a place which Allah Himself calls a ‘blessed place’;
8.referred to directly and indirectly, seventy times in the Holy Qur’an;
9. the place where angels have descended with Allah’s message;
10. the only place on earth where all the Messengers of Allah prayed at the same time led by the Prophet Muhammad SAW;
11. the only Masjid mentioned by name in the Holy Qur’an apart from the Ka’bah.
It is for the above reasons and many more that we need to understand our responsibilities regarding safeguarding the Masjid al-Aqsa which is in great danger of being demolished by Israeli extremists.
Excerpted from the introduction of 40 Ahadith on Masjid al Aqsa