17 October 2018

During the recent Jewish New Year period that saw thousands of Zionist settlers making provocative visits to Masjid al-Aqsa, Israel unleashed on a significantly larger scale a measure that it has been employing for a while against Muslim worshippers seeking to uphold an Islamic presence at the mosque – banning orders.

A new report by the Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor confirmed the suspicion that Israeli authorities had taken accelerated and unprecedented measures against Palestinian residents of Jerusalem throughout September.

The report concluded that Israel is punishing Al-Aqsa worshippers, and is following a number of policies to suffocate Palestinians through arbitrary detention, night house raids and searches, home demolitions, and orders to banish them from Al-Aqsa mosque.

Gleaned from news reports from September, the Palestine Information Network (PIN) collated the following accounts to highlight the recent uptick in Israeli authorities employing this draconian measure. Bearing the brunt of these actions are Jerusalemites in particular as well as employees of the Islamic Waqf at Masjid al-Aqsa.

September 8: Israeli court bans 5 Jerusalemites from Al-Aqsa

An Israeli court ruled, late Thursday, that five Jerusalemite youths from the Palestinian neighborhood of Silwan, in occupied East Jerusalem, are banned from entering the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound.According to the Wadi Hilweh Information Center, the five Jerusalemite youths were detained earlier this week, after Israeli forces raided their homes in Silwan.The center confirmed that an Israeli court banned the youths from entering the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound and its premises for one consecutive month.The ruling was a precondition for their release from Israeli detention, however, the youths were also sentenced to pay a fine of 1,000 shekels ($280) each upon their release.The center identified the banned Jerusalemites as Majdi al-Abbasi, Alaa Abu Tayih, Ali Abu Diab, Adi Ghaith and Muhammad Ghaith. (Maan)

September 19: Israel bans 7 Palestinians from Old City of Jerusalem

The Israeli authorities released, on Tuesday evening, seven Jerusalemites from detention on the condition of being banned from the Old City of occupied East Jerusalem. Nasser Qaws, head of the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS), said that the Israeli court decided to release seven Jerusalemites on the condition of being banned from the Old City of Jerusalem for four days. Qaws identified them as Raed Zughayyar, Haitham al-Halawani, Thaer Abu Sbeih, Rami al-Fakhouri, Murad al-Ashhab, Hamza Zughayyar and Mahmoud al-Mwanas. (Maan)

September 20: Israel bans Al-Aqsa staff members from compound

The Israeli authorities issued orders, on Thursday, banning staff members of the Islamic Endowment Department (Waqf) from the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in the Old City of occupied East Jerusalem. Spokesman for the Islamic Endowment Department (Waqf), Firas al-Dibs, said that the Israeli authorities banned the head of Al-Aqsa Mosque compound’s female guards, Zeinat Abu Sbeih, from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque for the next 10 days. Al-Dibs confirmed that Hamza al-Nabali, an Al-Aqsa Mosque guard, was detained while walking to reach the mosque and was later informed that he was banned from entering the compound for two weeks. During the past few days, Israel have banned seven Jerusalemites from entering the Old City for the next four days, including two Islamic Endowment Department staff members, Raed Zughayyar and Haitham al-Halawani. (Maan)

September 22: Israeli police orders several Palestinians in Jerusalem off Al-Aqsa Mosque and Old City

Israeli police ordered several Palestinian residents of occupied East Jerusalem to stay away from Al-Aqsa Mosque and the Old City for weeks and months at a time, according to reports. Police have summoned more than 20 Jerusalemites, including staff at Al-Aqsa Mosque, to appear at its Jaffa Gate police station on Sunday where they are expected to receive orders barring them from reaching their place of work at the Mosque or even the entire Old City. Several young Jerusalem residents were detained last week and then released and ordered to keep away from Al-Aqsa Mosque. Police had also ordered the head of the women guards at the Mosque not to enter it for 10 days and one of the guards for two weeks. The ban orders came as Jewish fanatics plan to hold provocative tours of Al-Aqsa Mosque during the upcoming Jewish holiday, which normally lead to confrontations with the Muslim worshippers at the holy compound. Muslims fear the fanatics intend to change the status quo at the Mosque and turn it into a Jewish worship area. (Wafa)

September 23: Israel bans 5 Jerusalemites from Al-Aqsa

Israeli authorities banned several Jerusalemites on Sunday from the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, in the Old City of occupied East Jerusalem, for one week under the pretext of upcoming Jewish holidays. Local sources told Ma’an that Israeli authorities delivered summon notices to a group of Jerusalemites to come in for interrogation to the Israeli police station in the Old City.Sources added that following the interrogation, Israeli authorities decided to ban the Jerusalemites from entry to the Al-Aqsa Mosque until their second interrogation next Sunday. A Ma’an reporter identified the banned Jerusalemites as Raed Zughair, Mahdi al-Abasi, Muhammad al-Dabagh, Jihad Qaws, and Rami Fakhouri.Israeli authorities threatened to ban the five Jerusalemites from the Al-Aqsa Mosque for six consecutive months. (Maan)

September 23: Israel bans four Palestinians from entering Al-Aqsa

Israeli intelligence on Sunday issued an order banning three Islamic Waqf employees and a Fatah official from entering the holy Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in occupied Jerusalem for one week. The intelligence banned Shadi al-Matour, a Fatah official in Jerusalem, and the three Waqf employees from entering the mosque for one week until the beginning of the next month. Only yesterday, Israeli occupation authorities banned 20 people from Jerusalem, including staff at Al-Aqsa Mosque, from reaching their place of work at the Mosque or even the entire Old City. (Wafa)

September 30: Israel bans Fatah deputy secretary from entering a-Aqsa Mosque for six months

Fatah activist Shadi Mutawar

Israeli authorities Sunday banned Deputy Secretary of the Fatah movement Shadi Mutawar from entering the al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the period of six months. Mutawar told WAFA he was summoned to the Israeli police ten days ago, where he received an order banning him from entering the mosque for seven days. He was re-summoned on Sunday, where he received a similar order prohibiting him from entering al-Aqsa mosque compound and surrounding area for six months for attempting to confront Jewish fanatics who break into the mosque’s compound almost on a daily basis to perform religious rituals at the Muslim holy site. The Deputy General noted that he had been banned from entering the mosque nine times in the past and that this was the fourth time he was banned from the Mosque for six consecutive months. (Wafa)

September 30:Israel bans 9 Palestinians from Al-Aqsa Mosque

The Israeli authorities banned nine Palestinians, on Wednesday, from entering the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, in occupied East Jerusalem, for various periods ranging from five days to six months. Locals told Ma’an that the Israeli authorities summoned nine Palestinians, who are all residents of the central West Bank district of Jerusalem, to the Israeli police station in the Old City and handed them ban orders. The orders informed the Palestinians of being banned from the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound. The banned Palestinians were identified as Raed Zughair, an employee of the Al-Aqsa Mosque Reconstruction Committee, Hussam Sader, also an employee of the committee, and Mahdi al-Abbas, an Al-Aqsa Mosque guard, Shadi Mutawar, the Deputy Secretary of the Fatah movement, Jamil al-Abbasi, Hamza Zughair, Jihad Qaws, Rami al-Fakhouri, and Mahi Abu Asab. Israeli authorities carried out a campaign banning at least 30 Palestinians entry to the Al-Aqsa Mosque and the Old City of Jerusalem under the pretext of “providing security” while Israeli settlers take to the mosque and celebrate Jewish holidays. (Maan)

October 2:Aqsa guard banned from mosque for three months

Israeli police Tuesday banned al-Aqsa Mosque guard Amin al-Abasi from entering the Muslim holy compound in Jerusalem for three months, according to officials at the Muslim Waqf (endowment) department in charge of the mosque. More than 20 Palestinian Jerusalemites, most of whom are guards at al-Aqsa mosque, were banned from entering the mosque last week. Jordan is in charge of Al Aqsa Mosque compound and Jerusalem Waqf and its staff are considered Jordanian government employees. (Wafa)

October 10:Israeli forces ban Jerusalemites entry, as settlers storm Al-Aqsa

Sources added that Israeli forces banned three Jerusalemites, who are employees of the Islamic Endowment (Waqf) Department, from entering the Al-Aqsa Mosque. Israeli forces handed summon notices for further interrogation to the employees, who were identified as Khalil al-Tarhuni, Ahmad Abu Alia and Khamis Attiyeh. Sources confirmed that Israeli forces also handed a summon notice to an Al-Aqsa Mosque guard, Hamza al-Nabali, for interrogation at an Israeli police station in the Old City. (Maan)
October 11: Israel bans 3 Jerusalemite guards from Al-Aqsa
Israeli forces banned, on Wednesday, three Al-Aqsa Mosque guards entry to the compound in the Old City of occupied East Jerusalem, to carry out their work for the next two weeks. Head of the Public Relations and Media Department at the Islamic Endowment Firas al-Dibs said that Israeli forces handed summon notices to the three Al-Aqsa Mosque guards, for further interrogation at the Israeli police station in the Old City. Al-Dibs added that following the interrogation, Israeli forces banned entry to the compound to all three for the next two weeks. The three guards were identified as Hamza al-Nabali, Khalil al-Tarhouni and Ahmad Abu Alya. Israel have previously detained and banned al-Aqsa guards on different occasions. (Maan)